Small rental portfolio advice please.

• Thread starter Chris Taylor
  • Start date
  • Replies 0
  • Views 48
C

Chris Taylor

Small rental portfolio advice please.
With the up and coming Renters Charter, its probably time to start thinking about increasing the efficiency of our small portfolio. 4-small houses.

Two of our four 1990's properties have heat only systems with non-condensing boilers. One on the garage wall and one on the kitchen wall.

The other two properties of a similar age have gas connected, but use E7 electric heaters. Probably ideal candidates for combi boiler systems. Especially as the one bed probably only needs 3 or 4 rads and the two bed needs a maximum of 5 rads. Though the hard water area might make heat only systems a better choice. Both have airing cupboards anyway with water cylinders.

What boilers are other landlords fitting these days? Is there a go to brand/range?

I've always gone for Vaillant boilers in my own homes over the last 40-years, but found them to be on the pricier side. Is it a false economy to buy cheap?

Quite like the idea of stainless steel exchangers as I imagine they will last longer than aluminium, but from a quick look online, am seeing mostly aluminium exchangers. This is a very hard water area and none of the properties are fitted with water softners. I guess if the system water is clean with inhibitor, any limescale will only be deposited in the pipes once!

Is there like a best selling range of boilers that most of the new home developers have been banging in all their properties or do they chop and change?

I have never been a fan of micro bore radiator pipes an prefer the traditional 3/4" pipes myself to carry a better flow of heat. I'm a bit old school like that. Not sure if this would effect boiler choice.

Not looking to have internet connectivity, so if the boilers have that functionality, I'd prefer if it wasn't enabled. Imagine it would be a pain when tenants change the internet routers!

Reliability is always a concern. Don't really need the tenants calling every year with problems.

I did study plumbing and heating at college when I was younger and then...

Read more

Continue reading...

Back