Guest viewing is limited

Outdoor main electrical chamber

BIGMAC

Hi
My property is fed from a standard 100A feed into a block built chamber fully rainproofed, but ventilated, which is separated from the house by a couple of metres. This cabinet contains a 100mA master time delay RCD which is then split to feed multiple small enclosures containing 30mA RCD's and MCB's or 30mA DP RCBO's for the shed's and outdoor stuff etc. depending when they were installed. It also feeds the house which has it's own (Internal) Consumer unit fully populated with single pole RCBO's. Most of the install is 14 years old and was therefore built to the 17th and signed off to that.
I would like to replace the multitude of small consumer units with a large double height metal unit, something like the Hager double height 26way and replace all of the RCD's with new equipment. However, I have never been very happy with the use of "indoor" style electrical enclosures being used in this way all though there is no evidence at all of water or damp in the main enclosure. My questions are. What is the best type of electrical distribution equipment to use here. Does it need to be a consumer unit based distribution or would a fully water proof locked electrical cabinet and din rail system etc be better. Does it even have to be metal. Not sure what the regs say but I'd like an idea before I get electrician out to quote.

Last edited:
Back