Guest viewing is limited

Shallow well pump house electrical

ahall1970

Hello, I am helping an friend and need some assistance. The situation is, there is a water well pump house with a 1/2HP shallow well pump. The pump house has a dedicated breaker (30amp), so proper romex runs from the breaker panel to the pump house and was connected to an outlet. The pump has a plug cord attached to the pump pressure switch and then plugs into the wall outlet. After however long its noticed that the breaker tripped. Phil got tired of the breaker tripping so he ran an extension cord from an outside outlet (on a 15 or 20 amp breaker which also has indoor home lights and outlets) to the pump house and plugged in the pump and that breaker has never tripped with all the lights, outlets and pump on that breaker.

I thought maybe the pump house outlet was bad so I changed the outlet, same problem. Now when anything else (lights, fan, tools) is plugged into the outlet for the pump house, the breaker never trips. It only trips with the pump. The pump is 6 years old.

Any advice to help Phil would be appreciated so he can get the extension cord off the ground and uses the dedicated breaker as it was set up for.

Thanks,
Alex

Back